Sunday 19 June 2011

Claire Kniepkamp's Lovely Loch

This is a picture of me sizing and measuring box one to fit inside box two.

Here I am taping the corners of the box to make sure no light is able to shine inside the box. 

This is the finished project!

Photo 1: Loch Lomond, Scotland. June 18, 2011. This picture was taken at 3:00pm. The conditions were cloudy and drizzly. This is a picture of one of the interesting trees I saw on our hike through the countryside.

Photo 2: Loch Lomond, Scotland. June 18, 2011. This picture was taken at 3:30pm. The conditions were cloudy and drizzly. This is a picture of a man made stone wall with a countryside background.

Photo 3: Loch Lomond, Scotland. June 18, 2011.This picture was taken at 4:45pm. The conditions were cloudy and drizzly. This is a picture of the loch and hills!

One of the greatest philosophers of all time, Aristotle, was one of the first few people to think through the process of the camera obscura around 300 BC. Therefore, it was a bit odd for me to actually participate in a process that was thought of by the great thinker himself. However, during this process I came upon many challenges that I am sure were faced even by the greatest scientists, philosophers, and painters.  The first challenge I faced was making two boxes fit perfectly inside the other with enough comfort for the inside box to move back and forth. I had to cut precise measurements and tape both sides together to fit the inside box inside the larger box. This was very time consuming and much more difficult then I imagined. I also found it challenging making the interior screen. I wanted the interior screen to be tight enough to where no folds would disrupt a quality picture. However, I used a plastic bag which made this task very difficult in doing. I would have liked to have used a different material for the screen that would stretch without creating folds.

No comments:

Post a Comment