Sunday 24 June 2012

Chris Quinn-- Camera Obscura Project

These photos document the building process of my camera obscura.  I started out with a fairly large box found in a dumpster, and I proceeded to cut out the frame.  I secured all corners and edges with clear packing tape.

My initial frame with lens secured.  

 The inner frame with a white plastic bag serving as the frame.

Leftover supplies and completed camera obscura.


Although the original box I used to create the camera obscura was quite large, I didn't realize how large and unwieldy the camera obscura itself ended up being.  It was a hassle to transport, to say the least.  All photos in the following series were taken in and around Stirling. 

Sunday June 24, 2012 around 1:30 PM.  Airthrey Castle on University of Stirling campus

 Sunday June 24, 2:10 PM.  Steeple at Stirling Baptist Church

 Sunday June 24, 2:30 PM. Viewfield Church

 Sunday June 24, 2:45 PM. Sheriff Court and Stirling County Council building

Sunday June 24, 3:30 PM Old Town Jail and Church of the Holy Rude

I feel that all of the posted photos came out fairly well, except for the photo of Sheriff Court and Stirling County Council building.  The sun had just gone behind some clouds, and the lack of lighting shows.  I was unsure of whether a glare from the lens was normal or not, but otherwise, the photos turned out well.  I was frustrated with the general lack of clarity, as focusing the screen only helped a bit.  Using a camera obscura highlights the otherwise subtle frustrations and problems of digital photography.  I think another one of my issues was that the inner chamber of the camera obscura was not dark enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment