Sunday 24 June 2012

Kellie Kuzmuk: Camera Obscura Project

Construction of the Camera Obscura:
Construction Image 1:
Construction Image 1: I started with two cardboard boxes, a cereal and a tea box.  I wanted to make the tea box the bigger outside box so that my camera obscura was smaller and more portable.  I also used tape, scissors, a plastic shopping bag, and the provided lens to construct my camera obscura.


Construction Image 2: 
Construction Image 2: I scaled down the cereal box so it would fit inside and slide within the tea box.  I taped together the edges, leaving both short ends open, one side for viewing and the other side I intended to attach the semi-translucent sleeve, which in my case was a shopping bag. 


Construction Image 3:
 Construction Image 3: I taped the shopping bag to the inner box and then placed the cereal box inside the tea box.








Construction Image 4:
 Construction Image 4: I drew an “X” on the face of the outer box and centered my lens over the square I cut in the middle of the box.








Construction Image 5: 
Construction Image 5: I colored the entire camera black to make the inside darker and cover any possible spaces the clear tape left for light to sneak through into the dark chamber of the camera.








Image Summary: Difficulties I encountered while constructing my camera obscura included finding materials that would allow the inside to be completely dark in bright light, without any light getting through.  Additionally, with using heavier material, it was problematic finding adhesive material that would hold the camera together while being transported to take pictures.  The first camera obscura I constructed was made with stronger cardboard, but fell apart after only a few minutes.  Also the sliding feature of the inner box allows focusing of the image but must be a tight enough fit so it would not slide during picture taking.  

Final Presentation of Images:
Image 1: 
Image 1: Date: Wednesday June 20th, 2012 Location: Outside the kitchen window in Alexander Court, University of Stirling 
Caption: This picture was meant to represent the 19th century theme of capturing common images, some of which were in artist’s own backyards.  Also being inside a darker room while capturing the lighter outdoors allowed for a clearer picture. 

                                                                                     Image 2:
Image 2: 
Date: Sunday June 24th, 2012 
Location: Road leading out from Alexander Court Caption: This image is of a tree truck chopped at the top and with its branched also cut.  I took it to represent to destruction of nature for commercial purposes.  This tree is located next to a parking lot and its materials can be used for a variety of purposes. 

Image 3:
Image 3: 
Date: Sunday June 24th, 2012 
Location: Train station in Stirling (Bookstall Railway Station)
 Caption: There were many people walking by.  Moving the camera to work with the light was very important in this image because the sun shining from behind the camera caused the screen to white out.  I had to cross the street and stand beside a building to shade the dark chamber of my camera.  

                                                                                   Image 4:
 Image 4:
Date: Sunday June 24th, 2012 
Location: Airthrey Castle, University of Stirling Caption: While castles are often described as picturesque, Airthrey Castle is an interesting blend of old and new, much like the camera obscura and digital camera mechanisms used in this project.  The sign informed me it was built in 1792, making it young compared to some of the other castles in Scotland, yet an older structure for the very modern university. 

 Image 5:

Image 5: Date: Sunday June 24th, 2012 
Location: Bridge over Airthrey Loch, University of Stirling 
Caption: I decided to photograph the bridge from one end of campus to the other over Airthrey Loch because an bridge connects two areas much in the same way the camera obscura connected art and science. 




                                                                                    Revised Image 1:

Revised Image 1: Date: June 25, 2012
Location: Outside kitchen window in Alexander Court, University of Stirling
Caption: After making the inside of my camera obscura darker and using the zoom feature on my digital camera, I was able to capture a clearer and more vivid picture for image 1.  

No comments:

Post a Comment