Sunday 24 June 2012

Rachel Carmen: Camera Obscura Project *REVISED*

Constructing the Camera


I made my camera obscura out of a Corn Flakes box and clear duct tape.

First, I cut off the extra flaps on my cereal box:














I made my smaller 'inside' box by cutting off part of the bigger 'outside' box and then folding it into the same shape as the big box. I taped this together to hold its shape:














Originally, I taped a clear plastic grocery bag to this smaller box (as the screen)...













...but I couldn't see anything but light through that screen, so I ripped it off and instead used my clear tape as a screen. This worked, but one problem was that there was a line where the two strips of tape met, right through the center of all of my photos.


Picturesque Photos

I had a great deal of difficulty in capturing any images, which was very disappointing. Even when I moved the inner box back and forth to focus, the image did not sharpen much. Also, I think my hole for my lens was a bit too small -- I noticed this after a few practice pictures and cut it larger, but I think it still should probably have been even larger.

I made some revisions to my camera obscura and, while the images are still not turning out exactly how I hoped, they look MUCH better and I can tell my camera is at least functioning correctly! I kept one original photo for comparison's sake; the last 5 are my new photos.


University of Stirling 
22 June, 2012
Around 9:00 PM


There was an old stone building off in the distance surrounded by trees and plants that was my intended focus; however, I was pleasantly surprised by this photo. Although the building is nowhere in sight, I like how the trees are framing the sky. I find it to be my most "picturesque" photo.






Airthrey Castle
3:00 PM
26 June, 2012
















                                                                                     


University of Stirling Campus
                                                                                      3:00 PM
                                                                                      26 June, 2012


University of Stirling Campus
3:00 PM
26 June, 2012
 Wallace Monument
3:00 PM
26 June, 2012




So, there are my five attempts at "picturesque" with a camera obscura. This assignment was truly a challenge and forced me to get creative. While I am disappointed that none of my photos turned out the way I envisioned, it was very interesting to try a new style of photography.


The pictures from attempt #2 turned out much better...the lighting was tricky because it was very overcast and shadowy, but I managed to get a few that I think are much MUCH better than last time!

No comments:

Post a Comment