Sunday 24 June 2012

Lindsay Ackerman: Camera Obscura Project

Materials Used:


One medium sized cardboard box
Scissors
Tape


Camera Obscura Construction:



 I took a medium sized cardboard box and cut it into two pieces.  I then formed the two pieces into two smaller boxes, one being slightly smaller than the other.  


 The box that was to fit inside the other one was missing the front and back of the rectangle.  The back of this box I then covered with semi-translucent tape that I used as the screen for the camera obscura.  I then drew a large 'x' from corner to corner, and cut a coin sized hole into the center of the larger box that I had constructed.  After the hole was made, I taped the lens to the top of the hole in the box, facing outward.  After that, I secured the smaller box into the center, leaving enough room to move it back and forth.





'Picturesque' Camera Obscura Images

At first, I had a lot of trouble figuring out how the lens worked with the moving of the inner box and focusing.  After I got the hang of it, the biggest obstacle was to get the lighting on such a gloomy day to cooperate, considering the fact that I had a few light leaks in my camera obscura that I couldn't quite seem to get rid of.

This photo was of the William Wallace Monument, from campus.  I liked that the trees and the sky somewhat framed the monument, and due to the polished coating of the tape, most of my pictures turned out with glares.

This picture is of the loch situated in the center of University Campus


This picture was of the golf course on University campus


This picture was taken on a nature trail along side Stirling

The following were taken after I replaced the tape screen with a plastic bag.  The shine and reflection was nearly eliminated.
.  



To understand how these images were captured, you must acknowledge that there is glare from the screen, and the moving of the center box back and forth can only focus the outer lens so much.  It is also harder to judge how well or far the photo is due to the fact that its upside down, and in my circumstance, somewhat technicolor.

No comments:

Post a Comment