Saturday 30 June 2012

Maria Papa: Midterm

 I brought quite a few different filters with me, but my two scarves, lace, and plastic wrapper ended up being the best for the lighting and timing. All of my filters were: A plastic wrapper with and without printed text, a plastic wrapper with two different eye shadows, a sock, pink lace on a sweatshirt, a silk scarf, and a cotton scarf.


My theme was less subject-based and more style-based. I tried to shoot more at different angles and off-centered and have the eye follow certain lines rather than have a centered, straightforward subject.

Since lighting was such a common theme in the past, I chose to shoot these wall lights. I used a plastic wrapper with an expiration date to get a slight vignetting and blurry lights.

Looking through the window at the curly hedges and beyond, I used a cotton scarf as a filter to get a soft focus, slightly tinted effect.

For this soft, unsaturated effect, I used my own breath as a filter. I chose the pathway and gate as my subject in reference to some of the landscapes shot during the Pictorialist era.

I shot the Life face and the mausoleum through pink lace to get varied tones and less contrast. I tried to shoot all the photos with the lace and scarf filters in black and white so the color wouldn't be distracting.

I used the cotton scarf again to achieve a less focused, slightly tinted photograph of the chandelier and ceiling carvings.

This softly lit photograph of the inside of the mausoleum was taken using a silk scarf as a filter with a black and white camera feature. The colors on the scarf created different tones and contrast.

I used the wrapper with the expiration date again, and it happened to line up nicely on the sides of this shot. I like the way the plastic blurs it slightly and the blurry text frames the fireplace.

 This soft focus, highly tinted photograph features the sleeping lion. I had forgotten to turn on the black and white feature, but I do like the way the cotton scarf filter colored the sky.

A pink lace filter was used in this photo of a gate in order to get a slight pattern in the tones and contrast.

 I used my silk scarf filter to achieve the slight gradation in tones and quite blurry aura around the plant. I believe the concept of timelessness was most successful in this photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment